From Monday, Nov. 26th until the morning of Tuesday, Dec. 4th, we will be collecting non-perishable items for the Goldstream Food Bank. On Tuesday, Dec. 4th, a BC Transit bus, filled with Santa, Mrs. Claus and elves, will arrive in our parking lot and we will stuff it full of wonderful food items for those in our community who are struggling to feed themselves and their families. This is our fourth year being involved in this project, and it is awesome! Sangster families have been very generous in helping us fill up classrooms, the hallway and then the bus!
Thank you in advance for your contributions to our community!
Today we held our Sangster Remembrance Day Ceremony. Students and staff across the grades participated in the ceremony by sharing their art, poetry, and singing a whole school song. As well, the Intermediate Choir sang, “Hold Onto Hope.”
Please click on the video below to hear Mr. Poynter’s recording of their performance today.
Below is the audio recording of the whole school song, “Peace is the Way.”
This year Sangster will be using an online booking system for our Learning Conferences on Thursday, November 22. Parents/guardians are required to create an account and add their children to the booking system. This can be done now at https://sangster.schoolappointments.com
Starting Monday, November 5th at 9am parents/guardians will be able to sign-up for a preferred time-slot with their child’s teacher. Registration will close on Sunday, November 18th. Please read the attachment for further instructions.
One month into the school year already! We had a great September at Sangster, with a new format of monthly assemblies and the introduction of our monthly themes which follow the Seven Sacred Teachings of Indigenous cultures. Among other activities, we had a special guest performance by Teddy Anderson and celebrated Terry Fox with our running event and fundraising. The staff and I are looking forward to October’s learning opportunities and cultural events! Below are important October and early November dates.
- October 1st – Celebrating Orange Shirt Day (official date Sunday, Sept. 30th)
- October 3rd – District Cross Country Running event after school
- October 5th – Hot lunch
- October 8th – Thanksgiving holiday
- October 9th – Photo Day (individual students and staff)
- October 11th – PAC Meeting at 6:30 (childcare provided)
- October 18th – Great BC Shakeout Earthquake Drill at 10:00
- October 19th – Non-instructional Day (no school for students)
- October 26th – Hot Lunch
- October 30th – Halloween Safety Assembly
- October 31st – Halloween Dance at 1:00 (parents invited to join!)
- November 8th – PAC Meeting at 6:30 (childcare provided)
- November 9th – Remembrance Day Ceremony at 10:30
Get the Sangster App for School Notifications and Dates:
- Download at the “App Store” or “Google Play.” Search for “Sangster.” It’s free! Or visit the website at sangsterelementary.appazur.com
- Tap the menu button and sign-up
- Tap “Classes” in the menu, then tap the gear to select your classes (please note – not all teachers will be using the app, but the school will use it to send out whole-school notifications)
- Tap “Groups” in the menu, then tap the gear to select your clubs and teams
- In the menu, tap the gear with your name next to it, and pick how you want to receive notifications.
- If you have not provided the school with a Comfort Kit for emergency situations, please do ASAP. Kits have been organized and stored in the emergency container. We will be placing any additional kits into the container on Friday, October 5th so please meet that deadline so your child has a little something from home in the event of a longer-term emergency situation.
- With Halloween coming up, just a reminder that students are asked not to wear masks as part of the costume at school. Thank you!
A BIG Thank You to:
- PAC members, parents, and staff who participated in the PAC Bottle Drive
- Cross Country Running Team coaches Kathy Henderson and Lisa Lockerbie
- District Cross Country event organizer Lorraine Van Dyk
Have a wonderful October!
Sign-up for Hot Lunches now! First Hot Lunch is September 21st. Visit the site here.
Please join us for our Meet the Staff Evening on Thursday, September 20th. Classrooms will be open for drop-ins between 6:30 – 7:00 pm. There will be a presentation made between 7:00 – 7:30 pm outside on the basketball court (in the gym if weather is poor). We hope to see you on the 20th!