Once again, the number of Lost & Found items has grown significantly. Please have a look through the items in case your child has misplaced anything. All unclaimed items will be picked up for donation on Thursday, March 14th. Thank you!
EMERGENCY REUNIFICATION DRILL
Thursday, March 7th at 1:30 pm
Sangter Elementary will be practising an Emergency Reunification Drill to provide students, parents, and staff an opportunity to practise an important component of our school emergency plan. Parents and guardians are requested to participate in the reunification process by following our procedures as outlined below.
It is critical that parents, and alternate guardians are listed on a student’s release form and understand the school procedures.
Student/Parent Reunification Procedures
- Parents/guardians will be directed to the Check-In Gate .
- Arriving parents/guardians will self-sort into alphabetical lines corresponding to the first letter of the family name of the student(s) being picked up.
- A staff member will ask for government issued picture ID (driver’s license, military ID, passport, etc.) to confirm the parent/guardian requesting the student(s) is on the Student(s) Release Form, and is authorized to do so.
- The staff member will fill out the time and intended destination in the highlighted section of the form.
- The parent/guardian will be asked to sign the appropriate section on the Student(s) Release Form.
- The parent/guardian will then take the bottom portion of the Student(s) Release Form to a staff member at the Release Gate .
- A Runner will take the bottom portion of the Student(s) Release Form to the student holding area.
- Please wait at the Release Gate .
- The requested student(s) will be escorted by a staff member to the parent/guardian at the Release Gate .
- Once you have the requested student(s), please exit the school grounds to ensure a quick reunification for all families.
Things to Remember
- Bring your government issued picture ID and have it ready at the Check-In Gate .
- This will be a slow process, please be patient and respect the importance of accounting for students after an emergency by releasing them under control.
- Use this opportunity to practise your family emergency plan. Please talk to your child(ren) in advance about the exercise, and how they are expected to behave.
- Tell your child(ren) who is prepared to pick them up and care for them after an emergency, or disaster, if you or your spouse/partner can’t make it to the school right away.
- Expect traffic congestion at the school, please consider alternate parking areas in the community.
- If you live within walking distance we suggest you walk to the school.
- If you are unable to join us for the exercise, your child/children will be dismissed as they would normally be at 2:53 pm.
We encourage you to participate in this very important exercise!
We appreciate your patience.
Dress appropriately for the weather.
A few reminders for the first week of March:
- Wednesday, March 6th – Learning Conferences between 3:30 – 5:00 and 5:30—6:30. Various formats are being used this year and classroom teachers have communicated details with parents.
- Thursday, March 7th – Emergency Reunification Drill during the last 90 minutes of the day. Parents will receive an e-mail from Sangster around 1:30 pm informing them that the drill has started. Students will start the drill as an earthquake drill, exiting the school building and assembling on the field. Parents or other authorized guardians (as listed on the Emergency Release Form) will be required to arrive and line-up at the check-in gate to show photo identification before their child can be brought to them to sign out. The drill will conclude at the end of day bell (2:53 pm) so that after school routines are not interrupted. Please ensure your child is sent with proper clothing as they may be outside for nearly 90 minutes. Thank you for your participation in this important emergency preparation event.
With the outbreak of measles in Vancouver, BC, families may be wondering what steps they can take to protect themselves from measles. Vaccination is the best method of protection. All school-age children and adults born in 1970 or later should have 2 doses of MMR vaccine for full protection. Most people born before 1970 are immune to measles because of past exposure or disease.
Please take some time to check your vaccination records to see if you or your children need additional vaccination. Vaccination is available from physicians, pharmacists (for adults and children over 5 years), and public health units (for children). Call ahead to your healthcare provider to ensure that MMR is available at your appointment.
We have rescheduled our Parent Emergency Planning Workshop for Wednesday, February 27th from 6:30-7:30pm in the Sangster Gym. This workshop will explain the District’s post-disaster emergency student release procedures, and what to expect during the school’s reunification drill on the afternoon of Thursday, March 7th. All participants will receive an emergency planning package and will be given a list of considerations when writing your family’s emergency plan. To save a seat, please register in advance using the following link:
Due to weather conditions, Sangster Elementary will be closed on Tuesday, February 12th.
As SD62 schools are closed on Tuesday, February 12th, the Emergency Reunification Workshop scheduled for the evening of the 12th at Sangster Elementary will be re-scheduled. When a new date is confirmed we will communicate this to our parent community.
With snow predicted over the next few days, the District will monitor conditions. Staff and families, please listen to the radio in the mornings for updates and closure announcements. The District will try to push notifications online, but this may not be an option if internet servers are down.
If schools do open and conditions worsen over the day, the District will keep families up to date throughout the day as best they can. We encourage parents to have back-up plans for the end of the school day if they are not able to get to the school.