Sangster Elementary School was officially opened by Mr. L.J. Wallace, Coordinator of Teacher Recruitment, on October 17, 1958.
The school was named for the area which was known for half a century as “Sangster’s Plains”, after Captain James Sangster. A native of Port Glasgow, Captain Sangster’s name first appeared in the records of the Hudson’s Bay Company as a seaman in 1832. He later commanded the brig, “Llama”, in 1837 and the brigantine, “Cadboro”, during the years 1848-1854. Captain Sangster became successively a marine pilot, harbour master, collector of customs, and postmaster in Victoria. He died suddenly at home, which stood where the present gravel pit lies on Metchosin Road, on October 18, 1858.
Captain James Sangster’s cabin by Rose Bullen